Tips to get your BBQ clean and fresh for the BBQ season
12th January, 2021
No summer is complete without having your mates around for a BBQ. Whether you’re using a gas BBQ, an electric BBQ or a charcoal BBQ, cleaning your BBQ grill is so important before cooking up your feast.
Check out our list of the best BBQ cleaning tips and tricks to ensure that your BBQ is kept clean and fresh throughout this BBQ season:
Cleaning a gas BBQ
1. To clean a gas BBQ you first need to disassemble the grill. Turn off the gas supply and disconnect the gas fitting. Remove the parts, such as the grill plates, the hotplates, the burner control knobs and grease tray.
2. Prepare a bucket of warm water with added dish washing liquid. You don’t need strong chemicals to clean the BBQ.
3. Once the inner parts have been removed, you can wipe the BBQ’s interior. Use a clean paper towel to absorb the grease and oil.
4. After you’ve removed and cleaned the grease, scrub away with warm, soapy water.
5. Wash the grates, grill and other parts with warm, soapy water as well.
6. After washing all the parts, rinse them with clean water.
7. Let the parts dry completely.
8. Once dry, coat the grill with oil on both sides, as well as the cooking surface. This will prevent your BBQ from rusting.
9. Line the drip tray with foil and cover with a fat absorber, which helps prevent fat fires. Return the tray under the grills.
10. Reassemble the BBQ.
11. Use a soft cloth to clean the exterior of your BBQ with soap and water.
12. Rinse with clean water and wipe dry.
13. Reconnect the gas fittings before cooking. You’re good to go!
Cleaning an electric BBQ
To clean an electric BBQ, make sure you’ve unplugged the grill from the electrical outlet. You should wait 10 minutes after unplugging before beginning your clean.
If it’s removable, remove the grilling surface.
Wipe the grilling surface with a damp sponge to clear off the grease. Try and avoid using metal scrubbing pads or any other kind of abrasive material when cleaning as it can damage the unit. Put a little dishwashing liquid on the sponge if you’re tackling heavy grease. Rinse the sponge every so often to remove the grime as well.
Get rid of the moisture with a damp cloth.
Clean the exterior with a damp sponge. You can use an all-purpose oil cleaner if it’s particularly greasy.
For the drip tray: remove any paper towel or foil lining before washing the drip tray with dishwashing soap. Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
Make sure all the parts are dry before plugging the BBQ back in.
Get the best portable BBQ grill from Gasmate today!